Wednesday, July 6, 2011

My kids are awesome

 My kids are awesome. I know I complain far too much about how overly-energetic they are and how they are always, always testing limits. Both true. On the other hand, out in the real world, they are amazing.

This morning, Anna had her 3-year old checkup, which I scheduled a month early in case Baby Brother decides to take up all our time in a few weeks. Erik came along because we generally travel in a pack. With the help of God's gift to mothers, i.e. the Sesame Street podcast on the iTouch, he was the most patient non-patient ever. Anna followed directions splendidly standing and sitting and what have you to get weighed, measured, and generally evaluated. Height and weight and all that was fine. There were just two little things...

In the course of going over the school physical forms, the doctor noted that Anna had never been tested for lead. Since we live in a pre-1978 house, that's relevant. So, we were directed to get her blood drawn before heading home. The lab for such things is in the same building in the doctor's office, which should have made it easy. Unfortunately a) the lab was having computer problems and b) we were all too well-behaved for anyone to notice we had been waiting for AN HOUR. By the time we did get in for the main event, the ladies working there were astonished that I had had two kids in the waiting room for all that time and they didn't even notice. Fortunately, the basket of books my kids had never seen before was all they needed to keep occupied. I'm sure the other folks waiting were equally enthralled by my multiple readings of Olive, the Other Reindeer, or bored enough to be very quiet while I read. Oddly quiet. Eek. Anyway, once Anna was up for her turn, she couldn't have been a better patient. She sat on my lap and calmly put up with the experience without a peep. Did I mention they were drawing her blood. No problem at all. Acutally, it was Erik, who himself stoically endured all his 5-year old shots without a whimper a few months ago, said he was scared and looked like he was about to burst into tears. Guess we was nervous for his sister, which means he really does like her. Yea!!!

Unfortunately, we need to put all this good behavior to further testing tomorrow. Listening to Anna's lungs, the doctor heard a heart murmur and wants an EKG done to see if it's a developmental issue or a medical problem. I'm trying not to worry because at about the same age Erik had a heartbeat irregularity and went through the same procedure. Nothing abnormal turned up. Besides, this weekend our own little Anna offered this bit of wisdom: I happened to say "I'm sad" in conversation and she said, "Don't worry, Mommy. Jesus is always with us." Gulp. I don't deserve these kids.

Erik at the 4th of July parade.
 (I'm not really sure what he's doing.)
Well, keep us and our various medical issues in your prayers. We will keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment