Monday, August 8, 2011

Baby update: 40 weeks ... yes, 40 weeks

Baby apparently didn't get the message that today is his due date. So, here we are at 40 weeks. Lesson to be learned, please don't tell an expectant mom that you are sure she will go early because when that doesn't happen, it's just depressing.

Anyway, I had yet another checkup today. Baby is perfectly fine. He's still "breathing" well, still super wiggly and still has plenty of water in his swimming pool. I, however, apparently have slightly elevated blood pressure. It's not dangerously high. (Honestly, I attribute it to the chocolate I ate before the checkup to ensure a happy, squirming baby.) The doctor said that if I was at 38 weeks, it would be fine to just keep monitoring it. Since I'm now overdue, he wasn't willing to give baby till the end of the week, though. Since Anna's birthday is tomorrow, he was willing to wait until Wednesday. So, we are now scheduled for an induction bright and early Wednesday morning. Unless, of course, Baby finally figures out where the door is tonight or tomorrow.

I'm not thrilled with the scheduled induction thing. It seems absurd that a third baby would need to be helped along in such a way. To be honest, it really feels like a failure on my part that some aspect of my body isn't doing what it's supposed to be doing. I know I should just be grateful that everyone is healthy, but I can't deny my control freak nature. It annoys me that something that I'm supposed to manage has to be controlled by other people.

Part of the frustration is that Anna's birthday is tomorrow and I haven't been able to plan a good birthday celebration for her. Even now, we're telling the kids what to expect for tomorrow and Wednesday, but it's certainly possible that those plans will get changed at the last minute. (It would also be nice if Erik would stop saying things like "It's not your birthday yet, Anna," "You can't open your presents today," and "You don't get to have kids over.") Oh, well. Like it or not, this week we all learn a lesson in flexibility.

So, 48 hours from now, one way or another, there will be a new baby in the family. Keep us all in your prayers and we will update everyone as soon as we can.



No comments:

Post a Comment