Monday, April 25, 2011

Hostess with the most-ess... anxiety!

Another holiday completed. Check. Whew. As for the day itself, Easter is amazing. The most spectacular day in the church calendar -- how could it not be wonderful. After 40 days of solemn, yet theologically inspiring, minor-key hymns, Easter dawns with bells and trumpets and life. Amazing. It's all the other stuff that wears me out.

Being in the church choir, I was committed to participating in the first two services of the morning (at 6:30 and 9 a.m. -- oof). My folks arrived for lunch Saturday. It was a perfect, sunny spring day. So, after breaking from lawn chores to eat, Jamieson pushed on with yard work with help from dad and his truck. Now we have that rich earthy mulch smell to greet us every time we open the front door. Amazing how much landscape love mulch can give a house. Looks good. (And I didn't have to help this year!) Even if the days have been less than sunny and warm lately, the flowers and bushes are embracing spring, so we have daffodils in full bloom and green shoots on almost everything else. My garden isn't huge, but it is a treat to see things emerge and try to remember what plants are about to delight us.

After a dinner of "burrito pie" (hardly Easter-y, but tasty), we dyed eggs. Fortunately, only the yellow egg dye cup was spilled and the kids ended the experience basically the same kid-color they began it. We will leave the shrink wrapping and fancy designs for future years. Erik just wanted to make a lot of red eggs (that's all they do in some traditions, right?) and Anna wanted pink and purple. Easy enough. After a bit too much Easter-eve chocolate bunny indulgence, the kids were tucked in. I then had to try to remember where I squirreled away Easter basket gifts. During end-of-summer sales last year, I picked up a few discounted things and hid them in the back of the crawl space to avoid detection. Have I mentioned that I'm, as of today, 25 weeks pregnant? Well, I found the goods, got them tucked into baskets and scattered the plastic eggs all over the house for early-morning hunting. (I can't wait to put those eggs away for the season. They are everywhere!)

The challenge of Easter morning was the logistics of church attendance. I needed to be at church for 6 a.m. rehearsal prior to the sunrise service. Jamieson gamely suggested that we all go to the early service. I didn't think it could be done, but all six of us were there. The noise of the service was a bit more than Anna cared for, but Erik loved the extra music. I don't think the bell choir needs a five-year old boy as a member, but there's certainly a musical interest and ability for some interest amid all that wiggle.

We all enjoyed a delicious Easter breakfast at church then the rest of the family headed home while I stayed to sing with choir again. (As an aside, I don't know how much I contribute to the choir. It seems that most of the members are far more musically skilled than I will ever be, but I certainly enjoy being a part of it.) Since I needed a way home and Dad and I had come separately, he let me take his truck home. I'm sure someone in that parking lot was trying to figure out the expectant mama hoisting herself into a Wisconsin truck. I know I was.

Back at home the kids had been showing off their biking skills. Erik had moved on to shorts and a t-shirt. Anna stayed in her festive Easter dress with the addition of tennis shoes and a blue bike helmet. That's my girl. Jamieson's folks arrived at the same time. My idea of an easy dinner of ham seemed a lot more time consuming in practice. While Jamieson had already put the meat in the oven, I had appetizers, a fruit salad and veggies to assemble, all while people buzzed about my house. I don't do entertaining well. I'd like everything to be ready before anyone walks in the door and that never happens. Since that never happens, people offer to help and I don't know how to delegate effectively. Oh well, it may not have been a Martha Stewart Easter, but everyone was fed and happy.

Erik did not have school today, probably so the teachers could leave the job of sugar detox to the parents. Honestly, if there is just one holiday that doesn't involve stuffing children full of candy, I'd like to know what it is.

So, that was Easter. Our next celebration will be Jamieson's birthday next weekend. He won't let me get an ice sculpture or hire a balloonographer, so it will be more low-key!

No comments:

Post a Comment